1. The Hatchling used to pronounce her favorite movie trilogy “Stah Woahs,” which we enjoyed because it made her sound like Randy Newman. Now she’s (finally) getting her R’s she says it more like “Str Wrrrs,” which is less cute but equally funny.
2. In other Hatchling-speech related news, the kid has recently added another global region to her universe of accents. We used to call her The Swedish Chef because of how she pronounces her “U’s” (“Mama, wanna listen to some müüüsic?” “Mama, what are yüüü doing today?” “Mama, are yüüü coming outside tüüü?”). She still goes Swede on a regular basis, but recently, out of nowhere, she’s pronouncing her short “A’s” like she comes from upstate New York. “Dance” sounds like “dee-yance.” “Back” sounds like “bee-yak.” “Have” comes out “hee-yave.” Where, oh where does it come from? Neither of her parents is from upstate NY. Or Sweden, for that matter. What will be next? Hungarian? Portuguese? I’m hoping for Irish, myself.
3. In other Lucas-related news, we have recently realized that the Sprout, who has quite a husky voice for an eleven-month-old baby girl, sounds EXACTLY like an Ewok.
4. We found Mr. Squab’s old baby book the other day, and discovered that when he was ten months old, he weighed THIRTY ONE POUNDS. For those of you who are childless, this is an almost literally unbelievable amount for a ten month old to weigh. “I guess that’s where the kids get it,” he says. Sheesh. I guess! In totally unrelated news, my stepmother had to get her neck adjusted after our last visit, because she was holding the Sprout too much and IT THREW HER NECK OUT.
Here are some links that have been sitting in my browser forever:
- This is an amazing article, both for the science itself and for the personality metaphor. Are you a dandelion or an orchid?
- If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be Mr. Squab (who is a graphic designer), this comic will give you a pretty clear idea.
- Everybody and their brother has already linked to this, but in case you haven’t seen it: Unhappy Hipsters, y’all.
- Kate Harding wrote an excellent essay on the Kevin Smith/Southwest episode.
- Save the Words!
This year’s Christmas photos notwithstanding, I don’t normally go for the standard posey-posey, fake backgroundy pictures. Our wedding photographers were photojournalists, and while we did do some of the traditional poses, my favorite pictures by far were the unposed ones. Having been sucked into the Kiddie Kandids for holiday pix (and really, the name tells you all you need to know), Mr. Squab and I decided to splurge on more authentic photos to commemorate the Hatchling’s first birthday. Lucky for us, we happen to know an extremely talented photographer of littles, who is getting her business off the ground and you should all go hire her RIGHT NOW because OMG her pictures are amazing. We just got them back, and I cannot stop looking at them. Not only are they beautiful as pictures – the color, the composition, etc. – but they really capture who the Hatchling is; all her personality just glows out of each photo. Here’s just a little sample:
There. If that doesn’t make you feel all warm and gushy YOU ARE DEAD INSIDE.
1. I don’t know if it’s the changing seasons, or still recovering from my show, or what, but MOTHERFUCKER I am tired. Tiredtiredtired all the timetimetime. Anyone know how to freebase caffeine?
2. The Hatchling quite enjoyed her first Easter. As certified heathens, we didn’t do a damn thing resurrectional or christly over the weekend. However, the Hatchling did sample her first peep, with mixed reaction. She wasn’t a big fan of the texture, but she likes sugar, all right.
3. I chopped my hair off. This is notable largely because people mostly haven’t been noting it. I’m not sure if this is a good thing, e.g. it just looks so natural on me that people don’t notice that I have about 5 fewer inches than I used to, or if this is a bad thing, e.g. I have truly entered that phase of existence where I might as well be invisible because people only care about looking at my (admittedly adorable) child. Right now, we’re sticking with option one.
4. It’s fucking snowing outside today. SNOWING. On the TENTH OF APRIL. I seriously need to move back to the southeast. I can’t take this shit.
5. Here is a cute picture of the Hatchling with her favorite pal. This was not posed; the cat just flopped down next to the Hatchling, much to her delight.
I was putting the Hatchling down for her nap today, the key component of which is rocking her while she sucks down a bottle. This time, she lifted up the bottle a little too enthusiastically and squirted herself liberally in the face with warm formula. Nothing daunted, she chuckled quietly to herself, as if to say “tricky bottle!”, held it out from her face, pinched the nipple off with her thumb and forefinger, put it in her mouth, and proceeded as usual.
So: do they have Mensa memberships for the under 1 year set?