I don’t know about y’all, but I thought the 2008 Olympics opening ceremony was PHENOMENAL. I’m a sucker for large-scale spectacle in general, so I always watch the opening ceremonies – plus they’re so interesting to analyze from a theatrical and political perspective – but I have to say, the Beijing show was maybe the best I’ve seen. Really amazing use of the human body to build a superhuman event. The globe at the end, in particular, was just mind-blowing. I could make a snarky comment right now about how it only makes sense that a militaristic communist country would be good at the grandiose nationalist displays, but I’m gonna keep it positive: it was a beautiful, artful, uplifting show. The Big Picture (via Q.)has a wonderful set of photos from the event if you missed it (or even if you didn’t).
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 731 other subscribers
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Patrick, Schmatrick
- Lost: One Pair Perspectacles, Slightly Used
- The Next Time
- The Internet is Magic + Valentines
- Nobody said this was gonna be easy
- Unanswerable questions my youngest daughter has recently asked me
- They Say You Can't Go Home Again ...
- In which your fearless blogger returns from the vast wasteland of non-posting
- Look! Pretty!
- Feet of Clay